Kachwaha & Partners is a full service law Firm, with offices at Delhi and Mumbai (Bombay) and associate lawyers in most major cities of India. The main office of the Firm is in New Delhi, conveniently located next to the diplomatic mission area. It is easily accessible from all parts of Delhi as well as its suburbs.
The Partners and members of the Firm are senior professionals with years of experience behind them. They bring the highest level of professional service to clients along with the traditions of the profession, integrity and sound ethical practices.
Members of the Firm are in tune with the work-culture of international law firms as well as the expectations of large corporate clients. The Firm has amongst its clients multi nationals, embassies and leading Indian corporations.
Ranked Tier 1 by Asia Pacific Legal 500 (2016) in the category of Dispute Resolution.
Declared a "Winner" in by the Indian Business Law Journal in the category of Dispute Resolution regularly since 2012.
Member of the International Business Law Consortium, Salzburg (IBLC) – an international alliance of select law firms with members from 88 locations world-wide. IBLC is ranked in Band 1 by Chambers in the 'Leading Law Firm Networks (Global wide).'
Former member of ICC FraudNet, a leading global independent network of international lawyers specialising in fraud and white collar crime.
The firm organises and conducts an annual all India student essay writing competition on arbitration (click here).
The firm organises and conducts the South Asian Regional rounds of the Foreign Direct Investment International Arbitration Moot (click here).
New Delhi 110021, India
Mr. Rautray enrolled as a lawyer in 1995. In July 2001 he was called to the Bar of England and Wales. He secured the highest grade and topped the Bar Vocational Course in International Trade Law.
- Mr. Rautray has authored a full length book titled "Master Guide to Arbitration In India" published by Wolters Kluwer; 2008.
- Mr. Rautray primarily handles matters relating to International Trade, Intellectual Property, International Commercial Arbitration, Shipping and International Banking.
Former General Counsel, Core Committee, Delhi High Court Arbitration Centre (DAC)
"... and Dharmendra Rautray have 'vast experience and commercial acumen'... " Asia Pacific Legal 500 (2016)
Nominations: "Recommended for Construction arbitration work" - by Asia Pacific Legal 500
"The 'organised and very responsive' Dharmendra Rautray has 'extensive experience in handling international commercial arbitrations'." (Asia Pacific Legal 500)
Click here for detailed CV of Dharmendra Rautray
New Delhi 110021, India
Author of full length book "Master Guide to Arbitration in India" (published by Wolters Kluwer) 2008.
- Barrister-at-Law, Lincoln's Inn (London) – called to the Bar in July 2001
- LL.M (Commercial and Corporate Laws), London School of Economics and Political Science, University of London; 1996
- Common Professional Examination, University of Westminster (London)
- LL.B University of Delhi; 1995
- Diploma in International Law and Diplomacy, Indian Academy of International Law and Diplomacy
Year of Enrollment :
Professional Affiliations :
- Member of Lincoln's Inn
- Member of Supreme Court Bar Association
- Member of LCIA
- Member of International Bar Association
- Member of Swiss Arbitration Association
- Topped the Bar Vocational Course in International Trade Law (London).
- Secured Very Competent (VC) grade (London Bar).
- Stood amongst the top students in Law Faculty, University of Delhi.
Positions / Testimonials :
- Former General Counsel, Core Committee, Delhi High Court Arbitration Centre (DAC). A leading arbitral institution in India which conducts more than 75 arbitrations in a year.
- "The 'organised and very responsive' Dharmendra Rautray has 'extensive experience in handling international commercial arbitrations'." (Asia Pacific Legal 500)
- Sumeet Kachwaha and Dharmendra Rautray listed as "Experts" by Expert Guides in the category of Commercial Arbitration (2016).
Guide to the World Leading Experts in Commercial Arbitration 2016
Professional Experience[Construction Arbitrations are indicated in bold and international ones marked with*] :
- Advising an Indian Company in a Highway construction projects in India on Design, Build, Finance, Operate and Transfer (DBFOT) basis in the State of Andhra Pradesh. The Concession Agreement is entered between the SPV and National Highway Authority of India.
- Representing a subsidiary of a Malaysian Company in the construction of four laning of Ghaziabad - Aligarh section in the State of Uttar Pradesh in a BOT project tendered by the National Highway Authority of India.
- Currently advising a Spanish – Indian joint venture company in a DBFOT project relating to construction of Six Laning of NH-2 and Four Laning of NH-6 where the project cost is Rs. 3400 crores and Rs. 2400 crores respectively.*
- Handling enforcement of a foreign award rendered under the AAA Rules on behalf of an American Multinational before the Delhi High Court & Supreme Court.
- Handling arbitration on behalf of a Hong Kong multinational before a tribunal comprising former Chief Justice of India, Judge of the Supreme Court and Chief Justice of Punjab and Haryana High Court in relation disputes arising from contracts relating to the Commonwealth Games, 2010 Delhi.*
- Successfully argued the reported judgment of the Supreme Court in Yograj Infrastructure Ltd. v. Ssangyong Engineering Co.*
- Successfully argued the Constitutional Bench decision of the Supreme Court in Bharat Aluminium Co. Ltd. v. Kaiser Aluminium Technical Service Inc.
- Succeeded in getting an arbitral award in favour of a major Korean Construction and Engineering company in an arbitration held in Singapore under the SIAC Rules.*
- Representing a major Korean Construction and Engineering company in a National Highway construction dispute arbitration under the SIAC Rules in Singapore where the claim amount exceeds USD 150 million.*
- Represented Ssangyong Engineering & Construction Co. before the Supreme Court of India in a USD 114 million public tender dispute.*
- Represented METCO Exports Limited in a GAFTA Arbitration.
- Handling execution of Rs. 10 Crore ICC arbitration award before the High Court of Delhi for a Korean multinational company in a construction dispute relating to a captive power plant project within an oil refinery.*
- Currently handling an arbitration on behalf of a Malaysian Construction Company arising out of a road construction matter where claim amounts exceed US$ 40 million.*
- Represented a leading Indian pharmaceutical company in an environmental pollution matter before the High Court of Shimla.
- Represented Leipa GmbH, Germany in an arbitration proceeding before the Indian Council of Arbitration (ICA).*
- Handled summary procedure arising from Letters of Credit on behalf of a Swiss Bank (UBS) involving fraudulent transactions.
- Representing a Korean multi-national in a dispute arising out of a contract for supply of CFBC boilers for a power project in India.*
- Representing a major Australian mining corporation in an ICC arbitration relating to claim for damages for refusal by a Government of India undertaking to lift coal consignments.*
- Representing an Indian client against a UAE company in a dispute arising out of fabrication and erection of tissue paper machines in Abu Dhabi.*
- Article – "Enforcement of Foreign Awards in India", Asian International Arbitration Journal (AIAJ), Volume 9, Number 2, 2013
- Authored full length book titled "Master Guide to Arbitration in India" – Published by Wolters Kluwer; 2008.
- Article - "Overruling of Bhatia International and Venture Global – A half measure by Supreme Court of India", International Arbitration Law Review, Volume 15, Issue 6, 2012.
- Article - "Indian Courts will not interfere in foreign seated arbitration proceedings", Singapore Institute of Arbitrators Newsletter, Issue No.4, December 2012.
- Enforcement of Hong Kong arbitral awards in India: Co-authors Dharmendra Rautray and Kim Rooney, IBA Arbitration News Volume 17 No. 1 April 2012.
- Article - "Challenge to Arbitral Tribunal on the ground of Bias and Termination of Mandate" - (2012) 1 SCC Journal Section page 1.
- Article – "The 'Public Policy' Hurdle to Enforcement of Foreign Awards in India" in Dispute Resolution Journal, AAA, November 2011 - January 2012.
- India Chapter - "Remedies for International Sellers of Goods", 2nd Edition - Juris Publishing Inc. 2011.
- Article – "The Cost of Appointing a Retired Judge as an Arbitrator: A Comment on Union of India v. Singh Builders Syndicate" in Dispute Resolution Journal, AAA, August - October 2009.
- Co-Authored Indian Chapter of International Labour & Employment Law published by Aspatore Books Inc, USA.
- Authored Indian Chapter of International Comparative Legal Guide to International Arbitration 2006.
- Authored Indian Chapter of Dispute Resolution – PLC Cross-Border Dispute Resolution Handbook 2006-07 & 2007-08.
- Case comment on Venture Global Engineering v. Satyam Computer Services – International Arbitration Law Review (Sweet & Maxwell) April 2008.
- Case comment on NTPC v. Siemens – International Arbitration Law Review (Sweet & Maxwell) August 2007.
Speaking Engagements of Mr. Dharmendra Rautray – (2005 onwards)
- 2014: Speaker, "Dispute Resolution in India" at the New York City Bar, New York, 28th March 2014.
- 2013: Speaker, Young ICCA/LCIA India training day on 22 November, 2013, New Delhi.
- 2013: Speaker, "Dispute Resolution in India" at the New York City Bar, New York, 1st March 2013.
- 2013: Speaker, "Bridging Asia's Leading International Arbitration Destination with Asia's Rising Economic Power", Hong Kong International Arbitration Centre, New Delhi.
- 2012: Speaker, "International Arbitration and Mediation Summit 2012", Kluwer International Arbitration - Hong Kong on 7th and 8th June 2012.
- 2012: Speaker, "Dispute Resolution Beyond Civil Law and Common Law" IPBA New Delhi.
- 2012: Speaker, "Dispute Resolution in Mega Construction Contracts" IPBA New Delhi.
- 2012: Speaker, Institute of Chartered Accountants of India; Certificate Course on Arbitration Act, New Delhi.
- 2011: Speaker, Institute of Chartered Accountants of India; Certificate Course on Arbitration Act, Mumbai.
- 2011: Speaker, "Making Arbitration Work Effectively and Efficiently", KPMG India and Singapore International Arbitration Centre (SIAC), New Delhi.
- 2011: Speaker, "Med/ Arb - Cost Benefits and the Pros and Cons of Mediation v. Arbitration" and "Enforcement of foreign awards in India - problems" Kluwer International Arbitration, ADR and Mediation Summit - Hong Kong on 12th and 13th May 2011.
- 2011: Speaker, Benefits of Institutional Arbitration, Delhi Arbitration Centre, Delhi.
- 2010: Speaker, Comparing costs and timelines: Ad hoc arbitration vs. Institutional arbitration in India, ADR Congress, Mumbai
- 2010: Speaker, Legal Counsel Congress India, Mumbai
- 2010: Speaker, 2nd National Conference India Roads 2010, Hyderabad
- 2009: Speaker, IMS Law College on "Conflicting Judgments of the Supreme Court in Arbitration matters".
- 2008: Speaker, ICC, on occasion of ICC Arbitration Day in London on "The Implications of the Supreme Court's decision in Venture Global Engineering v. Satyam Computer Services".
- 2008: Speaker, UIA Congress, Bucharest, Romania on "The Enforcement of Foreign Judgments / Orders".
- 2008: Speaker; "Commercial Laws of India", Singapore.
- 2007: Speaker; Asia Law, Singapore on "Enforcement of Arbitration Awards in India" and "Arbitration in India".
- 2007: Speaker; UIA Paris, France on "Freezing of assets".
- 2006: Speaker; "Commercial Laws of India", Singapore
- 2006: Opening up of service sectors in the European Union: Talk delivered at ASSOCHAM Seminar, New Delhi to a delegation of lawyers from China.
- 2005: Conducted workshop on 'Infrastructure Laws and Policies of India' organized by ALB Singapore in Bintan, Indonesia.
- 2005: Speaker; UIA Fez, Morocco – "Strategies: How to obtain evidence from your adversary in non-criminal cases".