Kachwaha & Partners is a full service law Firm, with offices at Delhi and Mumbai (Bombay) and associate lawyers in most major cities of India. The main office of the Firm is in New Delhi, conveniently located next to the diplomatic mission area. It is easily accessible from all parts of Delhi as well as its suburbs.
The Partners and members of the Firm are senior professionals with years of experience behind them. They bring the highest level of professional service to clients along with the traditions of the profession, integrity and sound ethical practices.
Members of the Firm are in tune with the work-culture of international law firms as well as the expectations of large corporate clients. The Firm has amongst its clients multi nationals, embassies and leading Indian corporations.
Ranked Tier 1 by Asia Pacific Legal 500 (2016) in the category of Dispute Resolution.
Declared a "Winner" in by the Indian Business Law Journal in the category of Dispute Resolution regularly since 2012.
Member of the International Business Law Consortium, Salzburg (IBLC) – an international alliance of select law firms with members from 88 locations world-wide. IBLC is ranked in Band 1 by Chambers in the 'Leading Law Firm Networks (Global wide).'
Former member of ICC FraudNet, a leading global independent network of international lawyers specialising in fraud and white collar crime.
The firm organises and conducts an annual all India student essay writing competition on arbitration (click here).
The firm organises and conducts the South Asian Regional rounds of the Foreign Direct Investment International Arbitration Moot (click here).
New Delhi 110021, India
Mr. Kachwaha's practice focuses on corporate commercial laws, infrastructure projects, litigation and arbitration. He figures as a Band One lawyer in the Chambers Asia Arbitration Section from 2009 to 2015. He also figures in Who's Who International in five sections: Arbitration; Construction; Procurement; Government Contracts and Asset Recovery. He also figures as a "Leading Individual" in the Dispute Resolution section of the Asia Pacific Legal 500.
He has handled landmark litigation including the Union Carbide (Bhopal Gas Leak) case, where he worked directly under the team leader Mr. F.S. Nariman. This keenly contested case was then the largest damages action ever in the world.
Mr. Kachwaha has also appeared as an expert witness on Indian law in leading matters before the Courts of England & Singapore.
- "Senior partner Sumeet Kachwaha is a standout name in both litigation and arbitration, and one interviewee reveals that 'he is my first port of call for Indian legal issues'..."
Chambers Asia 2012 - Dispute Resolution Section
- "[ ] at London says: I have also been enormously impressed by Mr. Kachwaha's obvious in-depth and wide - ranging knowledge and expertise...."
IBLJ Report declaring Kachwaha & partners a Winner  in the Dispute Resolution category.
- Sumeet Kachwaha and Dharmendra Rautray listed as "Experts" by Expert Guides in the category of Commercial Arbitration (2016).
Guide to the World Leading Experts in Commercial Arbitration 2016
- Sumeet Kachwaha is recommended for his command of the law and utmost integrity….one can trust him with anything.
Chambers Global 2008 - Dispute Resolution Section
- "Sumeet Kachwaha is revered in the alternative dispute circuit, with peers acknowledging him as 'one of the top guys in arbitration'. He also handles litigation cases and is acclaimed by clients for being 'very responsive, with clear and concise legal advise'.."
Chamber Asia-Pacific 2015 - Dispute Resolution Section
- "Sumeet Kachwaha, head of the litigation and dispute resolution department, is a notable name in arbitration and litigation, and overseas lawyers recommend him 'for any India-specific matter, particularly in cases where it's almost an unsolvable issue'..."
Benchmark Asia - Pacific (2013)
- "International counsel are impressed with the lawyers, who 'know their way around a courtroom, and give good input on strategy'. The 'proactive and imaginative' Sumeet Kachwaha is highly rated for both litigation and arbitration. 'He is unflappable, no matter how stressful it gets,' say interviewees, adding that 'he is totally straightforward' ... "
Chambers Asia 2011-Dispute Resolution Section
- "Sumeet Kachwaha is recommended for his 'command of the law and utmost integrity.' Sources add, 'he is entirely incorruptible - one can trust him with anything.'...."
Chambers Global 2008 -Dispute Resolution Section
- says ... a partner at Singaporean law firm Wong Partnership. 'We had a very good working experience and we were very satisfied'. 'Sumeet Kachwaha provided us with very good inputs on Indian laws as well as overall strategy.' Peter Rosell, legal counsel for Topsoe in Denmark, agrees: 'In view of his and his office's experience and high standing in India and in London we chose to engage him (Kachwaha) to assist us in a matter …… in New Delhi.' 'Their analytical ability and knowledge of the specifics of the relevant law and reference cases was impressive.'..."
[Indian Business Law Journal (Hong Kong) - 2009)]
- "In relation to Kachwaha & Partners disputes team, one client reports: 'Sumeet has been very excellent. He is very responsive and his advice is clear.' 'Sumeet Kachwaha is a prominent figure who is well known as counsel for both litigation and arbitration matters.'.."
Chambers Asia 2011 - Dispute Resolution Section
- "Sumeet Kachwaha, has reputation for being a sound litigator..."
Chambers Asia 2016 - Dispute Resolution Section
- The 2010 & 2011 Editorial Section of Who's Who Legal (Construction) states: "In India, Sumeet Kachwaha of Kachwaha & Partners is 'very personable' and 'gives very clear advice'. He specialises in issues related to infrastructure projects...".
Click here for detailed CV of Sumeet Kachwaha
New Delhi 110021, India
- LL.B, Faculty of Law, University of Delhi; B.A. (Hons.) English Literature, Delhi University.
Year of Enrollment :
- Trained in JB Dadachanji & Co.(then amongst the foremost law firm of India) and worked under Senior Partner, Mr. Dadachanji and later under Mr. Kapil Sibal (then Additional Solicitor General of India and later Law Minister of India).
- Set up own practice in 1983 and practiced as Junior Counsel. Founded the Firm Kachwaha & Partners in 2002.
- Currently Vice President APRAG (Asia Pacific Regional Arbitration Group).
- Currently Member Advisory Board, KLRCA (Kuala Lampur Regional Centre for Arbitration).
- Co-chair in a subcommittee of the international construction project (ICP) committee of the International Bar Association.
- Former Chair, Dispute Resolution and Arbitration Committee, Inter Pacific Bar Association (IPBA).
- Currently Deputy Programme Co-ordinator, IPBA
- Panel of Arbitrators - KLRCA; SIAC; HKIAC; Singapore Institute of Arbitrators; Indian Council of Arbitration, Shenzhen Court of International Arbitration.
Professional Experience :
1. Arbitration Experience :
Illustrative list :
- Recently won an over USD 100 million Award in an ICC arbitration against a Government of India Company. Also successfully appeared for enforcement of Award in the Delhi High Court
- Represented an Indian major against a US multinational in an ICC action for damages on the ground of fundamental failure of technology in a steel plant supplied. This was ultimately settled.
- Arbitration claim of USD 1.1 billion filed by an Indian power company against a US company. Represented the US company and the matter was settled within two years.
- Handled arbitration on behalf of USA based construction company in the Dabhol Power Project. Published award rendered.
- Represented a US major fertilizer company in three arbitrations against Indian Government Companies (trade disputes) Published award rendered.
- Handled over 18 arbitrations on behalf of an Engineering company established by the Government of India relating to housing construction projects in Kuwait (disputes settled).
- Handled several arbitrations including under the ICC, HKIAC, SIAC, LCIA & GAFTA Rules.
- Handled arbitration arising out of the first BOT road construction project in India, before a tribunal comprising of 3 former Chief Justices of India (claim 4 Million USD).
- Currently handling enforcement of a foreign award rendered by the London Court of International Arbitration on behalf of a French Telecom Company for an amount of over USD 25 million.
- Currently handling an arbitration on behalf of a Malaysian Construction Company arising out of a road construction project where claim amounts exceed USD 40 Million.
- Currently handling an arbitration before a former Chief Justice of India on behalf of a statutory corporation arising out of computerization of the State Agricultural Marketing Board operations where claim amount exceeds USD 20 Million.
- Currently handling several high value arbitrations where claims aggregate of over 1 Billion USD.
- Experience as Arbitrator: Appointed Sole Arbitrator in five arbitrations by the High Court of Delhi in which awards have been rendered. Appointed as party nominated Arbitrator in several arbitrations including under the SIAC & HKIAC Rules.
2. Litigation Experience :
Landmark cases handled :
- Appointed amicus curiae by the High Court of Delhi in 5 writ petition pertaining to statutory breach of duty by electricity companies.
- Union Carbide Case - this was one of the largest damages case ever in the world. The case was litigated for about 2 years in the United States - right from the District Court to the Supreme Court of the USA and thereafter in India for many years. Worked directly under the team leader, Mr. F.S. Nariman.
- Represented DLF (land development company) in several important matters including successfully resisting cancellation of licence for DLF Phase I (a housing colony spread over approximately 2000 acres). Also represented DLF in relation to its Bangalore Project (400 acre land development project). Represented them in the Supreme Court in Raghubir Singh Case (Constitution Bench Land Acquisition Compensation case).
- Oleum Gas Leak Case of Delhi (in 1985) on behalf of the Sri Ram Group of Companies. This involved over 5000 individual suits arising out of an industrial accident, which were ultimately settled by the Supreme Court of India. This was again a landmark case where the Supreme Court laid down very significant principles of environmental law and liability.
- Handled dispute on behalf of Haldor Topsoe (Denmark) before the Competition Commission against a German Manufacturer (predatory pricing action).
- Handled a cross-border dispute on behalf of a major oil company (Exxon Mobil) in the Indian and Singapore Courts. Gave expert opinion in the Singapore Court of Appeal (highest Court of Singapore) on Indian law.
- Represented three successful licensees of telecom mobile licenses in a challenge to allotment. This leading case was argued before the High Court as well as Supreme Court of India (Tata Cellular Case).
- Represented a Municipal Authority in a Procurement dispute in the Supreme Court of India pertaining to construction of railway over bridges.
- Currently representing a leading Korean Engineering & Construction Company in a matter arising out of collapse of a Cable Stayed Bridge, in which 48 persons lost their lives.
- Expert Witness: Appeared as expert witness on indian law before High Court of England (QBD) in relation to claims filed by victims in the Taj Hotel terrorist attck case (2013).
3. Corporate Commercial Experience :
Illustrative list :
- Handled the entire telecom work for the RPG Group upon the privatisation of the sector (1994 to 2000). This included all legal documentation relating to basic licence, cellular licence, paging licence and other telecom ventures.
- Handling work for the Ford Foundation for over 15 years including in relation to several multi-million dollar loan agreements with Indian parties (micro financing).
- Advised Siemens AG, Germany in relation to two procurement projects viz Delhi Airport Express Metro Link Project and Electric Locomotive Factory at Madhepura and currently advising several multinationals on procurement laws and policies of India.
- Involved in all documentation work for the Dabhol Power Project Phase II and LNG Project of Enron. Also advised Bechtel, USA as part of this project.
- Handled entire legal work in relation to the Venkatesh Coke and Power Project Plant near Chennai and drafted all agreements in relation to the project.
- Advised and drafted EPC Contracts, JV Agreements, Technology Transfer Agreements, contracts and commercial arrangements.
- Recently closed a JV Agreement between an Austrian Company and a large Indian Business Group for setting up a plant in Maharashtra. Involved with complete documentation on behalf of the 50% Indian JV Partners.
- "The White Industries Australia Limited - India BIT Award - A Critical Assessment", published in Arbitration International, Vol. 29, Issue 2, pp. 275-293, (2013).
- "Interim Relief: Comments on the UNCITRAL Amendments and the Indian Perspective", published in Yearbook on International Arbitration, Volume III, Pp. 155 - 161, (2013).
- "Construction and Infrastructure Disputes: A Global Handbook" - India Chapter, published by Globe Law and Business, UK, Pp. 205-216, (2013).
- "Airport Projects in India: Cleared for take-off"; published by Construction Law International Journal, Volume 3 Number 1 (March 2008).
- Enforcement of Arbitration Awards in India; published by Asian International Arbitration Journal, (2008) Volume 4, Number 1, [Pages 64-82].
- The Indian Arbitration Law: Towards a New Jurisprudence; published by Sweet & Maxwell: The International Arbitration Law Review, (2007) Int A.L.R. 13.
- Risk Allocation - Green Field Airports in India - published by The Big Project - (Dubai) (2007).
- Arbitration Law of India – A Critical Analysis; published by Kluwer: Asia International Arbitrational Journal, Volume 1, Number 2, [Pages 105-126] 2005.
- Contributing to Annual India Country Reports on Legal Rights of Borrowers & Lenders for the World Bank since 2005.
- Supreme Court Bar Association.
- International Bar Association.
- Inter Pacific Bar Association.
- International Arbitration Club (U.K).
- Swiss Arbitration Association.
- International Academy of Construction Lawyers (Founding Fellow)
- Fellow, Singapore Institute of Arbitrators.
Recent Speaking Engagements :
- 2012: Speaker, Dublin IBA Conference on "Airport Capacity and the Modern Infrastructure Changes."
- 2012: Speaker, Kuala Lumpur Regional Centre for Arbitration on 'Effective Dispute Resolution: A Malaysian & Indian Perspective'.
- 2012: Speaker, Centre for International Legal Studies Symposium on International Arbitration, Salzburg.
- 2011: Panelist, IBA Annual Conference at Dubai on 'Anti-corruption Measures in Infrastructure Projects: Moving from Preaching to Practice.'
- 2011: Speaker, Institute of Chartered Accountants of India; Certificate Course on Arbitration Act New Delhi.
- 2011: Speaker, APRAG Conference in Kuala Lampur on 'The Supervisory Jurisdiction of Courts in the Asia Pacific Region.'
- 2011: Speaker ICC fraudnet conference at Hongkong on 'Fraud and malpractice- A South East Asian Perspective'.
- 2010: Panelist AIJA seminar in Mumbai on 'Enforcement of foreign arbitral awards in India; what is the situation today?'
- 2010: Speaker International, Dispute Resolution Conference in Kuala Lampur on 'Pitfalls & Remedies in International Arbitration: Country Perspective'.
- 2010: Panelist IPBA Annual Conference at Singapore on Cross Border Multinational Liability for Mass Torts.
- 2010: Panelist IPBA Annual Conference at Singapore in Joint Session with SIAC on arbitrations in East Asia.
- 2010: Speaker CPR Annual Conference at New York on Arbitrations in India.
- 2009: Speaker IBA Annual Conference, Madrid on Nuclear Power Projects – ('Indian Experience on Nuclear Commerce and Liability Issues').
- 2008: Speaker; IPBA Annual Conference at Los Angeles on Expediting Dispute Resolution in the Construction Industry.
- 2008: Speaker; ICC – KLRCA joint seminar at Kuala Lumpur on Arbitration Clause in International Arbitrations.
- 2008: Panelist in a Conference organised by KLRCA in conjunction with its 30th Anniversary at Kuala Lumpur on Survey of Court Attitudes in Developing Countries to Arbitrations.
- 2007: Speaker; ICC Commission Bi-Annual meeting in Singapore on Arbitration in India.
- 2007: Speaker; Asia Maritime Law Conference organized by the Maritime Law Association of Singapore on "Duty of Good Faith" in marine insurance.
- 2007: Speaker; Regional Arbitration Conference organised by the Malaysian Institute of Arbitrators at Kuala Lumpur on Evolving Judicial Attitudes to Arbitration.
- 2007: Speaker; IPBA Annual Conference at Beijing on Airport Privatisation in India.
- 2007: Moderator; IPBA Annual Conference at Beijing – Panel Discussion on Dispute Resolution in Beijing & London Olympics.
- 2006: Speaker in conference organized by Society of Construction Law at its international conference at Singapore on Dispute Resolution models in Indian Construction Industry.
- 2006: Speaker; IPBA Conference, Sydney on Independence and impartiality of experts in international arbitrations.
- 2006: Participated in a panel discussion in IPBA conference at Sydney, on 'Pitfalls facing foreign litigants in the Asia Pacific Region'.
- 2006: Participated in a panel discussion in IPBA conference held at Sydney on 'Construction and contractual issues in an offshore wind power project'.
- 2005: Panelist in Singapore International Arbitration – CIDC Joint Seminar on Standard Form Contracts in Infrastructure Contracts.
- 2005: Participated as "counsel" in Mock Arbitration under AAA Rules held at Bali as part of IPBA Annual Conference.
- 2005: Conducted a workshop on Infrastructure: Engineering and Building Contracts organized by ALB Singapore at New Delhi.
- 2004: Participated in a panel discussion in a Conference held in New Delhi, conducted by ICC Paris on Dispute Boards in the context of the new ICC Dispute Board Rules.
- 2004: Conducted a seminar for the Law Society of Singapore on "Dispute Management in India".
- 2004: Speaker; NOIDA Management Institute – "The issue of costs in International Arbitration and how to control costs in arbitrations".
- 2004: Conducted Workshop in the ALB Legal Summit, New Delhi on "Strategizing Complex Litigation".
- 2004: Panelist; Inter Pacific Bar Association, Seoul Conference – "Is International Arbitration broke, and if so how to fix it".
- 2004: Conducted Workshop in the ALB Legal Summit, Singapore on "Outsourcing to India - Legal Aspects".